October 3, 2020
Photos by Heather Durham
How We Met: When a mutual friend set Phillip and me (Lyndsey) up on a blind date, we realized we had met the year before at a wedding. He has a large family, and for our second date he wanted me to meet “several” family members. Little did I know I was meeting the large extended family at his sister’s Krewe Ball. I was so welcomed and felt part of the family immediately.
The Proposal: Phillip cooked dinner at his house on a random Monday, and I went over with wet hair and work-out clothes. Phillip is an avid woodworker, and he had carved many things for me while dating. That night he got on one knee in the living room and asked me to marry him. Not only did he surprise me with a gorgeous ring, but he had it set in a ring box he had hand carved from scratch. What is interesting is that this is exactly how my dad proposed to my mom 30 years earlier, when she had come home, wet hair and all, from a pool.
Favorite Moment: After postponing our original date from May to October, we had changed venues to be able to safely celebrate with our guests, and the new venue was on the lake. Our wedding planner and her parents took us from to the reception on a pontoon boat and provided dinner and champagne. We were so excited to finally be married after months of planning, postponing and replanning. As we arrived, God painted the most beautiful sunset ever to remind us of His gifts and blessings.
Favorite Details: I surprised Phillip by designing a Home Depot-themed cake with all his favorite things like DeWalt, Stihl, Alabama football and his own pet duck, Woodford, named after his favorite Bourbon cocktail.
- Ceremony Venue: Church in the Pines, Lake Martin
- Reception Venue: The Lodge at Cocktail Slough
- Planner: Meghan Cease, M. Elizabeth Events
- Florist: Southern Posies
- Caterer: Kathy G & Co.
- Cakes: Barb’s Cakes
- Videographer/Lighting: On-Site Productions
- Invitations: Annabelle’s
- Wedding Dress: The White Room
- Bridesmaid Dresses: Bella Bridesmaids
- Hair & Makeup: BOMA Beautiful & Carol and Leslie Artistry
- Groom/Groomsmen Attire: Mr Burch Formal Wear
- Transportation: Rare Transportation
- Musicians: I Love This Band (East Coast Entertainment) & Cahaba River Strings